Saturday, July 21, 2007

Jesus Talk

David of Gallimaufry tagged me a while back with a meme that asked for things I dig about Jesus. Jules of Maced With Grace also tagged me recently with a meme that asked why I love Jesus.

I think I’m gonna kill two birds with one stone here. First of all David, I have to be honest with you and tell you that I have never liked that expression, “I dig this” or “I dig that” so it is completely unnatural for me to say it like that. I might be more inclined to say something is “cool” instead. So I will make a small adjustment in the wording for myself.

One of the things I find cool about Jesus is that he came into contact with some of the most unsavory people of his day and he never seemed to get flustered, never seemed to worry what Sister SoandSo might think or say. He knew he was doing what he was meant to do. He was focused.

The other thing I think is cool is that he was there in the very beginning, when the earth was formed, which bamboozles my mind because it brings to mind the triune nature of God which is a mighty big thing to ponder.

I think it is cool that he is for us the image of the unseen God. How cool is that? And the Bible says we are his brothers and sisters, so that must mean that occasionally, I also get to be an image of the unseen God to others around me (although, more times than not, I am but a dim image!)

And that brings me to Jules’ meme, asking why do I love Jesus. Well, the most obvious reason is that I love him because he first loved me.

I also love him because of what he told Peter when he knew Peter was going to fail him in a most public way. He told him that after he had sinned, he was to return and help the brethren. It was not over just because Peter stumbled. And I know he feels the same way about me, that when I have stumbled, he wants me to come on back and get going again.

I often struggle with not feeling good enough and insecure, and sometimes I struggle with the feeling that I am an oddball outsider who has a hard time getting genuinely close to others, and when I really get to feeling sorry for myself about that, I always remember that Jesus loves me perfectly and knows me completely (sometimes it takes me a little time to remember this!). He knows my every flaw--and still he loves me! There are many cool things about Jesus, and many reasons to love him, but truly, no matter what happens, no matter how lowdown I feel, he is my Savior and lover of my soul.


5 comments:

  1. Great answer, Annie.

    I struggle with that same issue, too, but He always reminds me that He loves me flaws and all.

    Now hat'sl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondeful list annie. david tagged me too but I have just not gotten around to doing it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was worth the wait, Annie. To tell you the truth I never particularly cared for that use of "dig" either, but that is the way the MEME came to me. And now I have to apologize for being so late in returning a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks y'all. It was a fun meme to think about.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!