Monday, May 04, 2009

Doodling Around in my Journal

I'm still hoping my muse will one day show back up. In the meantime, I bought some little tiny watercolor sets that were marked way down in the campus bookstore. I was trying to experiment with them, but I have come to realize that using watercolors is tricky (are tricky??). I changed the colors on this one in Photoshop.

I have also been playing around with colored pencils in my journal. It's not exactly the kind of stuff worth showing off, but it is relaxing to do, and if I keep doodling, maybe my muse will think I don't care if he ever shows back up, and will join me!


It's corny, but true, one must never lose hope.



I added a black background to this one where my white page was in my journal. Since before the first of the year, we have been attending a different church. Here, they tend to jump around a lot, leaving you with lots of stuff to think about. I don't mind that so much, but I had grown accustomed to standard "three point outline" sermons at my old church so it's taken a bit of adjusting on my part.

It seems that in addition to the physical stuff I've been dealing with due to the diabetes, I am also doing a bit of spiritual work too. Not so much yet that I want to write about, but it's where my mind has been lately.

10 comments:

  1. Generally speaking, doodling is the most fun/relaxing/cathartic thing I know to do. As I layer colours, my brain processes stuff and I ponder and pray. Occasionally, I get an epiphany but mostly, for me, it's like going on holidays in my head.

    Isn't it fun to rediscover playing?

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is fun! I'm discovering it is also a very helpful process.

    And BTW, I've been following your blog for a little while now. You do gorgeous work! I love seeing it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these came out great. And yes doodling is good for the soul and a good jump start. Sometimes I can actually end up making a picture out of a doodle by adding a couple of connector lines. Pretty weird, must be that subconscious thing going on... who know. Art is spiritual and vs versa. I don't think there really is a difference or if there's a line, it's a mighty fine one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, hello! It's good to see you back!
    ;-)
    Doodling IS good for the soul. Doodle away, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doodle on, my friend; but now you also have me interested in "where (your) mind has been lately".....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes the muse sees you playing without her and she gets jealous and comes back. I like the stuff that you do in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to read something from you again. I miss it when you don't post.

    Praying for you tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just thought I would peek in and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep doodling! It can't hurt!

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!