Sunday, December 05, 2010

Letting Go

December 5 – Let Go.
What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why?
(Author: Alice Bradley)
Dang, people. This one could be a little on the personal side! There is a dream that I have fairly well let go of. I don't want to talk about that one. There is the ongoing struggle of letting go of my adult son while still loving him in spite of his problems. Don't want to air that one out here either.

I've reluctantly let go of my middle school youth group leader just a month or so ago. We connected back up on Facebook after many years of not being in touch. We chatted one night for a little while and he had somewhere he had to be so he asked for me to send him my phone number so he could call. I sent it to him and we exchanged a couple of short emails. One evening I got a call from a number I did not recognize and I thought it might be him. But I was nervous about talking to him again after so many years and it was not exactly a good time for me to talk. I let it go over to voicemail thinking he would leave a message and I would call him back after I'd heard his voice again and had gotten my courage up. He didn't leave a message.

A few days after that his grown daughter posted a note on Facebook that he had had a massive heart attack and was in the hospital. He stayed in a coma for several days and finally died. He was only 62 years old.

And now I can't call him back. And how I wished I'd just answered the damned phone.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - powerful. And meaningful. Thanks for posting this...

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!