Saturday, May 04, 2013

Missing the Country

We stayed in town this weekend, the first time in quite a while. So usually on Friday nights I am sitting in front of the fire pit or on the front porch pondering the meaning of life rather than squandering my night away on the internet.


I don't think I've posted this dogwood photo here on the blog. I took it a couple of weekends ago. The dogwoods are all through blooming now, as are the azaleas. They were gorgeous while they lasted.


My uncle built this bird feeder for me a while back. I took the photo of the cardinal through my kitchen window. We have since attached flat boards to the top of several fence posts so we can put food out for the birds. They are all very skiddish. I think eventually they will get used to us being around and I can get in closer to photograph them.


Usually this is what happens when I try to get their picture. They fly away. It's very annoying! It also explains why I am not much of a bird photographer. I don't have the patience to sit and wait for the birds to come flying in and then get accustomed to my presence so I can take their photo.


I did manage to catch this woodpecker at the top of our light pole. My lens is not quite as strong as I'd like it to be to get the bird photos.


Now this guy was as happy as he could be to take a few moments out of his busy schedule to pose for me! I'm not the world's greatest biology student. Someone smarter than me told he was doing this to woo the ladies. I think it worked. I saw him later with a friend.


I love this old cypress tree. It is on land that is near where my grandparents' lived. We would often go down there to look at the creek. I always thought it was the prettiest place. It was part of the scenery when I was writing for my "fake journal project" in April of 2011. I kept most of that project to myself.

In this present moment I find it fascinating that I imagined myself being in the house we have fixed up in the country when in reality it was so badly in need of repair. And now, a year later, the house is livable again and we are really going there nearly every weekend and it has been such a peaceful and healing place for us to be. And I am so grateful.


Here is the same scene in black and white. I don't know which version I like best.

I also planted sunflower seeds this past weekend. I hope they will be pushing up out of the ground when we go back. And my cousin's wife had given me a couple of climbing roses to plant. One of them had three buds on them so maybe they will have opened up and I can finally know what color they are. And maybe the wildflowers that I planted from seed will also be a little taller. Perhaps the honeysuckle that we are training to grow on the hurricane fence gate will be blooming, or at least will have climbed to the top of the gate (we put one of the gates from my grandparents' yard in the middle of our flower bed for the honeysuckle to grow on).

And maybe the huckleberries will be starting to show up! I saw a few green berries last weekend. Hopefully we will have enough for us AND the birds!

Ah, Spring is such a hopeful time of year. Though my phone shows it being 48 degrees outside. That doesn't feel so much like Spring and interferes with my Springish hopes!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, it sounds like you are really making this place your home. I love how you are familiarizing yourself with the wildlife of the area as they are surely familiarizing themselves with you too. May is a wild month. Most times it feels like spring if not summer but it will remind you 'not so fast' sometimes.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    ~Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are enjoying it, Dawn! It won't be long and I will be wishing we had these cooler days back!

      Delete
  2. From where I sit, at the bottom of this hill in Kentucky where several creeks merge to flow into the muddy Licking and yet the area still enough a part of an "inner city" of concrete business, your neck of the woods appears to be an Eden. Great pictures, Annie. Always a pleasant visit to stop by here....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes think of it as my "mountaintop" Jim! Thanks for stopping by! It's always good to hear from you!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow - you've got some great shots. What a beautiful place to be. I can well imagine how relaxing it must be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rach! It is a very relaxing place to be.

      Delete
  4. Love the dogwood picture. Azaleas here are still at peak, but in a few days will be gone. The Iris are in colors I've never seen, but after today's downpours, all of them may be damaged and washed down the street!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the irises survive the downpour! That's always so sad when the spring flowers start coming in and then get messed up with cold weather or rain.

      Delete
  5. I love the photos! I think they came out great. I have been watching the little broods of noisy blackbird babies chasing after their parents to be fed. Can't shoot the photos through the screen. Woodpecker babies too... lots of babies everywhere. I love that cypress. Reminds me of up at the old place, one of the few things I loved there... lots of cypress... and the water and plenty of duckweed. grin... You're right about staying home, much better to go and sit among Gods church than look at 4 walls for 2 days. At least the weather has cleared.
    amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! We don't have any birdie babies yet! I hope we get some.

      Delete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!