Friday, November 29, 2013

Never Far Away


I was okay yesterday, up until my sister said "Here," and pressed this into my hand. We were outside and I turned around to go put it in the truck so I wouldn't forget it and I realized this little gift would not have been so meaningful if I still had my son with me and then I had a few moments of silent sniffling before I went back into the house.

I have appropriated a dressy blue jean jacket of his and I wore it yesterday. The sleeves are too long, and it is a bit big and I look a bit "gangster" in it, and possibly, silly, being an older woman wearing a young man's jacket, but when I put it on, I imagine I am getting a hug from him. It's true, there is still a deep and rich connection that endures, even after death. I'm grateful.

4 comments:

Don't just sit there staring, say something!