Saturday, December 07, 2013

Cracks. And Light.



Yesterday at the student art fair, I bought two things: a beautiful blue-green bowl, the first thing that caught my eye as I walked around, and the mug pictured above.

I love the handle on the mug. The color is not extraordinary. The price was excellent. There is only one little flaw. It has a tiny crack running through the bottom of the mug, one that is visible when looking into the mug as well as when looking at the base of the mug. It will never be useable for much of anything, other than to sit on my shelf and look pretty.

And also to serve as a reminder of my own true condition. In the words of a wise friend, I am left to "Do what you can. You're handicapped--precisely like all the rest of us!"

I am reminded of Leonard Cohen's song Anthem, "ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering. There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in."

It's also how the light gets out, I might add.

(It occurs to me that this idea of light getting in and out, and accepting my imperfect humanity, are two recurring themes in my life.)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. I really like that Cohen song. I like to think that all my cracks and imperfections will someday be filled in and I will be whole. When that happens, I hope that I can become the light. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just added your last remarks about the light getting in and out to my collection of quotes, Annie.... Jim of "Temporary Osmosis"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim! I'd been a bit concerned for you! Hope all is well for you and your family!

      Delete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!