Wednesday, October 22, 2014

I Been Draggin'

I don't know why it's been so hard for me to begin to write the news of what was begun at MD Anderson. It took a little while for me to absorb, and there were people I had to talk to in person, and through texting, to let them know what was going on, and I ended up not knowing who I'd told what, and then just plain got tired of talking about it, partly because, well, I'm still waiting.
 

Turns out, the surgeon wants to take more of my colon that I thought she would. I wasn't sure I wanted that, and she seemed to be offering me the option of taking less, but she ended up saying she really recommended taking the more aggressive route. If the insurance will cover it, they will do genetic testing to see if I have a certain genetic marker which would indicate future problems, and help them know how to watch me in the future. It seems hardly anyone ever gets colon cancer after the first time, and this puzzles them, so they are looking at a possible genetic cause. So, I'm waiting on news about that.


In the meantime, I have a date for surgery. I will go for pre-op appointments on the 29th, with surgery on the 30th. I will not know the time of surgery or even the location of the surgery (inside MD Anderson) until I call them between 5 and 7 on the 29th. It will be like before, 5-6 days in the hospital, with anywhere from 4-6 weeks recovery time (including the hospital stay, I think).

 I won't know until about 8 days after the surgery whether or not I will need further treatment (chemo or radiation). If needed, I hope to be able to do that in my home town under the direction of MD Anderson.

I've had a roller coaster of emotions and imaginings since I've come home. There are a lot of possible variables but I trust that I will be all right through whatever comes, as always, by the grace of God.  This does not mean all will be easy (dang it!).



The dragon is an art project that was done with the help of some of the younger cancer patients at MD Anderson. There are lots of peaceful areas to sit and be still. We explored a bit in between appointments when we were there. And when I am able to walk the halls after my surgery, I will explore a bit more.

I don't know if I will post again before I leave. If I don't, I will see if I can get one of my Facebook friends to leave word in the comments on this post (or on my most recent post) to let you know how I am faring. As always, I would appreciate your prayers and warm thoughts. I am grateful for them.

4 comments:

  1. I hate this so much for you. I am thankful that someone is finally working hard on your behalf. Cancer sucks. In the meantime sucks. I wish we were all closer so that we could be there for you.

    I do freaking LOVE that dragon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers and warm thoughts for sure, annie. Sorry that you have all this upheaval and uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely understand not talking - explaining. It takes a lot out of us introverted types - a whole lot. :) Definite prayers and warm thoughts for you. Even a shake of the greenery bundle from Colorado, ya know, just in case. (Kate is convinced there is marijuana in the middle of it.) Take care of yourself - cocoon yourself as needed - and avoid the red koolaid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it is just necessary to curl up and pull the blankets all the way up and over. Do whatever you need to do... I'll be right over here.

    Love.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!