Friday, December 15, 2017

Remembrances

(from our weekend, 12.08.17-12.10.17)
Earlier in the week, a friend mentioned the possibility of snow over the weekend. There was none of the usual hype when there is a possibility of atypical weather events for us. I'd read it was going to snow around midnight (one hour), and again around two a.m. (for about two hours). That was a precise prediction. I doubted we'd see snow. 

My husband's alarm clock went off at 4:30 a.m. (long story). I woke up and told him I was going to the bathroom and then I was going to check to see if it was snowing. It was! I delighted! 
This is the scene that greeted me that morning. And there was more! It snowed. It stuck. We were enveloped in the silence and the brilliance. 
I took the photos below were taken after daylight arrived. I'd forgotten how satisfying it was to walk in crunchy snow. It was hard, leaving my footprints on the pristine ground. I had a little talk with myself, telling myself that the snow was a temporary experience. I admonished myself to enjoy it right now, in the present moment, accepting that it would all melt away. Like life itself. What, you don't have talks like that with yourself?



 

The snow arrived in the early morning of December 8. We were there in the woods to remember my son's death six years ago. The last texts and photos I received from him were about the snow and sharing the snowman he'd built. I still have them on my phone. He was in Pennsylvania at the time. I asked if he'd sent the photos to his sisters. This was the day before he died. I never got an answer. And now, here, six years later, we had snow on the anniversary of his death. 

It felt to me like a gift. I was grateful.

4 comments:

  1. Sooooo gorgeous!!!

    You have some pretty deep talks with yourself! Glad you're letting us in on the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, one of my selves likes deep talks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m glad you shared that. I was cold on the porch, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you were cold on the porch! But I'm glad you were "there!"

      Delete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!