Saturday, January 30, 2016

Leaves, Sticks & Shadows



 We do get a little bit of fall color here in Louisiana. I am grateful for what we get (I need to write more about this place, it is such a major part of me).
I took a video on this day. The wind was gently blowing the leaf across the surface of the water in the bird bath. At the time it felt like I was listening to the universe breath. All was quiet and peaceful.
This stick is still sitting on my desk in the country. I'm going to save it for a while and see if I can somehow work it into a piece of art. There's something hopeful about the buds growing in and then the undeniable brokenness of the branch dashing all hope of growth. Life and death on the same little stick. Life is full of such paradoxes.
I'm working hard at understanding what matters most to me, trying to discern my voice from all the voices of authority that rattle around in my head. It seems to me I should have "been done" figured this out. On the other hand, we are never totally done with this task. I read a quote this morning that said:

"If in the last few years you haven't discarded a major opinion or acquired a new one, check your pulse. You may be dead." ~ Gelett Burgess

5 comments:

  1. Listening to the universe breathing? This is writing. This damn good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah. Just noticed id changed my sentencing, where I'd used "breath of the universe" to "listening to the universe BREATHE," only I didn't change breath to breathe! I'll have to fix it later. Can't do it from my phone.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!