Sunday, July 02, 2017

Not Sure What Bit Me

For a long time now, I've sorely neglected my house keeping tasks. There are some legitimate reasons for this, and some not so legitimate reasons. But during the month of June several things transpired and I cleaned house (or I began to work on cleaning house). I don't fully understand what happened.

I'd started doing Morning Pages (a la Julia Cameron) again and the condition of the house was one of the themes that kept coming up. Also, a while back, one of my grad student friends asked me when I cleaned house. I had to admit to myself (and to her) that I didn't, which made me feel decidedly not adult.

A couple of weeks ago, we had Tropical Storm Cindy come through. She was supposed to be very bad. We got two days off due to the wind and the rain that was coming through. Cindy was not as bad here as was predicted. But I was home alone (hubby was not given the day off due to weather) and what else was I going to do do? Being home alone on a rainy day provides a prime cleaning opportunity.

So I worked in my den and in my foyer. I threw stuff away. I put stuff away. I dusted. I vacuumed. I rearranged the furniture. I rearranged the pictures on the wall. I decorated. I cannot tell you how long it has been since I even cared about decorating. I was so very pleased with myself. I looked forward to my next weekend off so I could continue to get things done that had not been done in far too long. It made me happy. It made me wonder what the heck had gotten into me. I even cut my long weekend short to be home and clean some more.

Things are still far from perfect. There is still much to be done. But I've made a start and I hope to keep on moving forward.

Also, another odd thing. Today I pulled out a quilt I'd been working on. I was disappointed with the way it looked because I'd gotten somehow mixed up with my pattern. I sewed the two patchwork pieces back together and added a border at the top and at the bottom. I'm planning on adding another border around all four sides. It didn't turn out exactly like I'd hoped but it's a pretty good "save" if I do say so myself.

Perfection is overrated. Good enough is good enough. And practice makes progress. That's the biggest thing I need to remember, whether I am cleaning house or sewing a quilt top: don't get overwhelmed by what is left to do. Savor the progress you have made. And keep moving forward.

I'll show you a picture of my quilt top but I'm not yet ready to share house photos. Just believe me when I say it was bad and now it is better.

I"m not a big John Maxwell fan, but I've had this quote in my art room for several months now. It resonated with me when I saw it. I've not been too good at staying consistent with many small disciplines. I'll have to do better if I want not to lose ground and to keep moving forward.


5 comments:

  1. I remember you talking about wanting to work on your house. Or maybe it was just wanting to want to. I am fascinated what changed that you not only did it but enjoyed and anticipated it. I love the quilt. And I want you to want to share house pics. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good enough is for sure good enough. Yay for progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Perfection is overrated. Good enough is good enough. And practice makes progress."

    ESPECIALLY in housekeeping. I feel you, girl. I love this. Seems like you are preparing for something good to enter into a tidier space. Can't wait to find out what that might be for you! I'm expecting something beautiful and creative.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't clean house, either. I used to have a set schedule and did something every day before moving on to play, but when my younger son moved in, he wrecked a lot of my routines, and some other things. He has now moved out, and will not be coming back in, so I hope to get some cleaning and sorting and tossing done all over the house - it's a real mess. I probably still won't be decorating, though! I'm really proud of you for putting forth the effort. There are sometimes things that keep us under, but the Maxwell quote is helpful. I'm not even looking for great achievement. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi annie! I've been the same way for a while vis à vis housework; been letting things go for far too long and now I'm cleaning, sorting and fixing. There's some good therapy to be had from this but, man, I'm tired. Love your quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!