Saturday, June 23, 2012

New Experiences in Prayer, a Boardwalk in the Marsh, and Wild Hisbicus

My husband and I spent the day at a Catholic Retreat Center, learning about the process of Lectio Divina. It was an interesting day. Although I am not Catholic I often avail myself of some of their spiritual practices and enjoy reading the works of some of their writers. 
The retreat center has a boardwalk that goes out into the marsh and ends on the banks of the Calcasieu River. I'd been wanting to get back here to walk and take pictures. When I am outside in a pretty place like this it is a meditative experience for me. It's really a pretty walk, even in the June heat. I heard lots of things, frogs, crickets, even alligators making that clicking sound they make. I tried to spot one but they are too well hidden in all the grass.
The marsh is so lovely but I find it hard to convey that loveliness in a photograph. Everything is pretty much green at this time of year, other than the bark of the trees, the moss and the red flowers. I think they are probably some sort of wild hibiscus.
I didn't stay as long as I would have liked, I had pressing business on the home front I had to get back to. But I stayed long enough to get several nice "flower portraits."
This one has an odd filter on top of it. "Smudgestick," I believe it is called.
I call this one "failure to unfold."

We came home for a little while then left out again to attend a Saturday night service at a church we've been visiting. The music is very loud but the preaching is good. I left my Bible and my notebook in the restroom after the service. :(

It's been a long day. I am filled. And exhausted. In a good way.


9 comments:

  1. That practice seems like something you would appreciate. And time in nature is almost always soothing.

    <3
    D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, but I need to make the time to sit still and let the process work.

      Delete
    2. I agree about time in nature, even in this dadgum heat!

      Delete
  2. I would prefer, at this point, your retreat. We have been in and under heavy deluge provided by Debbie for two days now, the next few looking to be possibly just as windy and wet. Eleven of us in one condo, seven of which are spread through that teenage spectrum....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear! I wouldn't want to be in that predicament! I hope the rain has cleared some by now and y'all are able to get out a bit!

      Delete
  3. The retreat location is definitely a beautiful spot. How could one not be renewed there?

    I hope your Bible is saved for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very pretty place! I was able to get back there over the weekend, and got my Bible and my notebook!

      Delete
  4. I sense the peace in this post. That makes my heart glad for you. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth. There is peace, but there also so many rocks...

      Delete

Don't just sit there staring, say something!